Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 PM

Default Super Talent Express Duo USB 3.0 flash drive review
Well, I decided to try out one of the new Super Talent Express Duo drives that have been hyped as being the cheapest USB 3.0 drive on the market, with write speeds of 23MB/s and read of 67MB/s on USB 3.0. I do not have USB 3.0, but I figured this might make a great USB 2.0 drive for the price ($14 for 8GB).

Visually, the drive looks nice, even though the case is made of plastic. Aluminum would have been nice on a drive like this, but the plastic doesn't rattle, so we'll see how it stands up.

Using ATTO Disk Benchmark, I tested the drive for read and write speeds.

As you can see, the read speeds are amazing, however the claimed write speeds of 23MB/s are not present at all. In fact, I wasn't even able to get write speeds of 50% of that number. Write speeds stayed at an even 11MB/s. Read speeds, on the other hand, were amazing at 35MB/s.

For comparison, the Patriot Rage XT, available for $21, can pull off write speeds of 25MB/s and read of 29MB/s.

While the read isn't as high as the Super Talent, the Patriot Rage XT actually does hit the advertised 25MB/s write speeds.

In summary, the Super Talent Express Duo does offer nice read speeds, but the write speeds are rather disappointing for a drive advertised as having much better. Is it a good buy for $14? Sure, if you are mainly looking for the fastest read speeds.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg 101220_001 (Custom).jpg (86.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Supertalent ATTO.jpg (109.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png Patriot Rage.png (28.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Wow, it's kinda surprising to see writes so far below a regular USB 2.0 drive. What all do you use your drive for? My 16GB Supertalent is for my Xbox so read speeds are more important since it is loading my downloaded content all the time, but I still use my little 4GB Corsair Micro for my computer -- and it is a bit slow. I set it up with a UBCD4WIN image, and still have room for 2-3 GB of data or drivers.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 AM

Tested a couple other items. First, a Centon DataStick Pro 4GB usb drive I got several years ago for free or something like that on Black Friday. The read speeds actually shocked me for such a slow drive as I've noticed it being!

Next up is a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card I had laying around.

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg Centon 4GB.jpg (107.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Transcend 8GB class6.jpg (112.0 KB, 11 views)