Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Default An Irreverent Curiosity
Anyone ever heard of the book An Irreverent Curiosity: In Search of the Church's Strangest Relic in Italy's Oddest Town?

Basic synopsis

Quote:
A tour through the centuries and through a bizarre Italian town in search of an unbelievable relic: the foreskin of Jesus Christ

In December 1983, a priest in the Italian hill town of Calcata shared shocking news with his congregation: The pride of their town, the foreskin of Jesus, had been stolen. Some postulated that it had been stolen by Satanists. Some said the priest himself was to blame. Some even pointed their fingers at the Vatican. In 2006, travel writer David Farley moved to Calcata, determined to find the missing foreskin, or at least find out the truth behind its disappearance. Farley recounts how the relic passed from Charlemagne to the papacy to a marauding sixteenth-century German solider before finally ending up in Calcata, where miracles occurred that made the sleepy town a major pilgrimage destination. Over the centuries, as Catholic theology evolved, the relic came to be viewed as something of an embarrassment, culminating in a 1900 Church decree that allowed the parish to display it only on New Year's Day.
I heard about this book a couple months ago and just thought about it again today. What are your thoughts?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Uh, it sounds kinda creepy to be honest.... Very strange...
Old 07-03-2010, 01:51 PM
New User

I've heard of it! It's great. Then again, I'm kind of biased....
Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Have you read it? Is it good? It just sounds weird, but this is also the first I've heard of this.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
New User

I have read it. I've even written it!

If you want to find out mroe--or if it's creepy enough for you--have a look here: http://www.anirreverentcuriosity.com/
Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 AM

Wow! Great to see you here farley! I haven't read the book, but my mother had heard about it on the radio and mentioned it one night when I visited for dinner. Made for quite the dinner topic that night! Just thought I might enlighten a few others on the subject if they hadn't ever heard for themselves!