Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
New User

Default In-ears dilemma
I have been interested in getting a good set of in-ears for all of my traveling that I do for work. I know there are quite a few good ones out there (or so I have been told), but am a bit unfamiliar with what is out there.

On the recommendation of a friend, I picked up a pair of Westone1s and have been enjoying them quite a bit (review to come after a bit more listen-time). What has me a bit torn though is that I just found out that Paradigm makes in-ears as well (link). I have been using Paradigm speakers for years in my home, and have been nothing but pleased with their performance - hence my curiosity about the in-ears.

Has anyone here had any experience with Paradigm in-ears? If not, could you recommend a reliable source for reviews?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM

From what I found a couple weeks ago looking, they are all "normal" drivers (8-mm super-neodymium) vs a balanced armature like Shure, Westone, and Ultimate Ears (upper end), but with a tuned chassis to make them sound different.

Paradigm Shift E1: Tuned to Paradigm Monitor Series 7 speakers

Paradigm Shift E2m: Tuned to Paradigm Reference Studio speakers

Paradigm Shift E3m: Tuned to Paradigm Reference Signature speakers

Sounds a little odd with all the "tuned to" stuff, especially since they don't tell you what it's tuned to. In the case of the E1's, they could be tuned to an Atom or they could be tuned to a Monitor 11. Same with the E2m and E3m.

I dunno, I'm sure they sound pretty good, but better than a balanced armature Westone or a nice Shure? I'm having doubts. I'd love to try them out sometime, too, though!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
New User

Well that is interesting. Part of me is curious to blind-buy one of them if I can dig up the coin for it.

Whatever the case, I would recommend the Westone1's for anyone who is interested. I have now used them in a busy airport, an airplane, at work, at my apartment, and walking home from work and they have performed beautifully. Also helps that they don't cost $300 a pop.